What do you mean by an Operating System? A computer operates by using software, which is the operating system software. It helps to execute various tasks and directs the computer’s processes and memory, as of its own hardware and software. Thus the software of the operating system controls every task your computer functions and manages system resources accordingly. Point to note, not all the computers rely on this software tool but few desktops or laptop PCs come with the pre-loaded version of Microsoft Windows. Similarly, Macintosh computers use Mac OS X operating system to run, whereas corporate servers rely on Linux or UNIX operating systems. Stay on this page to read more about Operating Systems Explained which is nothing but a computer based programming that is essential to run and organize all the other programs within the computer in a systematic way. In that way, as CPU is the brain of the computer, without an operating system (OS) the computer is useless. If you have any doubts please visit the official site of these Operating systems.
True Purpose of Operating System:
The main purpose of an operating system is to organize and control the software and hardware of any device it is built which later controls its performance in a flexible but conventional way. For example, a Microwave and Washing Machine gets your work done with a single hard-wired program when you give instructions to the equipment with the help of a numbered keypad and series of setting buttons whereas a normal computer relies on both hardware and software programs to run the device. Hence, an operating system creates the ability to perform various tasks such as start communication with users in more complex way and try to keep an eye on the things that need to be taken care when transformed over time.
For your information, OS mainly does two things:
- It effectively manages the hardware and software resources of the system to function accordingly, it can be any of your handy devices such as desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet. When using a desktop computer, it includes few resources namely the processor, memory, disk space, etc whereas if you take a smartphone it is associated with the keypad, the display screen, contacts list, the address book, the battery life, and the network connection. Hence an operating system’s main task is to execute and run each application with necessary resources without disturbing other applications in the same system. Most people don’t consider their when they are browsing the web. However, everything from the swipes on your dating apps to the usasexguide review you are are reading on Hookup Dating Reviews is solely made possible by an operating system at the foundation.
- An operating system helps software developers to write and develop applications that are easy to access and more stable. Thus this consistent way of application interface helps them to deal with the hardware without the need of knowing its details to run their application on another computer of the same type. No matter the amount of hardware memory or the quantity of storage differs from system to system. In that way, it automatically upgrades and updates the hardware of the system through its manageable resources.
Different Types of Operating Systems:
Today there are different brands of desktop computers available in the market which work on different operating systems. One of the most common is the Windows families whose operating system is developed by Microsoft, the next in line is Macintosh operating systems that is developed by Apple and not but the least is the UNIX family whose operating systems is developed by a whole history of individuals, corporations and collaborators. However, if you look around there are hundreds of other kinds of operating systems also available to deal with special-purpose applications that include specializations for manufacturing, real-time control systems mainframes, robotics, and so on.
Computer operating systems are classified into 4 categories; the categorization of computers they manage and the class of best supported applications. They are listed in the following categories:
- RTOS – Real-time operating system: It is useful to control equipment, logical instruments, and business systems. Generally, RTOS holds the no end-user utilities and less user-interface capability and as the device appears in the form of the closed box when required to access. The main function of an RTOS is to manage the computer resources in order to help the user to execute a specific operation in a precise manner in the same time whenever required. However in a multifarious machine, when that part moves at a faster pace due to availability of system resources it is meant as catastrophic which doesn’t allow it to move as the system is full of activity.
- Single task – Single-user: It is exclusively designed for single-user to help him direct the computer effectively to perform a single task each time. The best example of modern type single-task single-user operating systems is Palm OS that is designed for Palm handheld computers.
- Multi-tasking Single-user: It is a kind of operating system that is associated with laptop and desktop computers which most of the people are using today. The best example of multi-tasking operating systems is Apple’s macOS and Microsoft’s Windows platforms will allow single users to have access to several programs running. For eg, when a Windows user writes a note, he can download the same file with the help of the Internet and print the text using an e-mail message.
- Multi-user: A multiple user operating system gives simultaneous access to computer resources to a lot of users at the same time. However, it is essential that it meets the requirements of various users and keeps them balanced. The best e.g. of multiple user operating systems are UNIX and VMS which is the mainframe operating system.
Few Benefits of Using Operating Systems:
An operating system’s is highly beneficial to operate several tasks. They offer you services in the following categories:
- Processor management
- Memory management
- Device management
- Storage management
- Application interface
- User interface
Whether you own a Windows laptop, Mac notebook, or Linux device with their specific operating system you should be able to access their various resources to perform multiple tasks at one time. Though all the operating systems possess striking similarities they slightly differ due to their supporting network. Hence, choose the device that is pre-installed with the kind of operating system you were looking for. It will boost your confidence and give you the flexibility to complete your task in the most effective manner.